Whether you are experimenting with your first hackathon or have participated in dozens, we strongly encourage UIC CS students to sign up for these competitions. Here are just a few reasons why:
- Meeting new people. Not just potential employers—who might watch a hackathon for potential new hires—but also fellow students. Hackathons are an amazing way to meet people with similar interests.
- Developing your résumé. Hackathons let you showcase the skills you’ve developed in class and build some new ones, often in a collaborative setting with real-world applications. They make great résumé entries.
- Enhancing your job interviews. Hackathon experiences make you a more interesting interviewee for internships and jobs. How did your team approach a problem? What kinds of solutions did you consider? What skills did you bring to the table in achieving the final outcome? Hackathons help you give hiring managers an even better sense of who you are and what you can do.
- Winning! (Of course.)
- Healthcare Hackathon, Marquette Tech Institute, Cape Girardeau, MO. July 19 to 21. Teams will solve problems that deal with patient interaction. $50,000 in cash awards. 10 free tickets available to UIC students ($150 value; includes entry and six meals). Go to https://healthcare-hackathon-2019.eventbrite.com, click on Tickets, click on Enter Promotional Code at the top right of that window, and type in the discount code UIC. This will set the tickets to $0 for the first 10 students to sign up.
- Amadeus Hack the Journey Online Edition. Build the next big travel solution using Amadeus for Developers Self-Service APIs. More than $10,000 in cash prizes. Deadline: July 29, 2019. Info here.
- FireDrone.AI Hackathon (U.S. students only). Build a functioning software solution using Microsoft Azure, Microsoft Azure Machine Learning, or Microsoft Azure Cognitive Services that enables drones to detect urban fires from a street-level view by using a simulated environment. More than $20,000 in non-cash prizes. Deadline: July 31, 2019. Info here.
- UiPath: Power Up Automation Hackathon. Build open-source, reusable components using the UiPath Studio. More than $50,000 in cash and prizes. Deadline: July 22, 2019. Info here.
UIC Hackathon Honor Roll
- Google Tech Challenge 2019: 3rd place, 5th place
- MIT Energy Hack 2018: Chirag Soni, MS ’19
- BuiltWorlds Hackathon 2018: Giovanni Agugini Bassi, Iacopo Olivo, and Francesco Pinci, all MS ’19
- Mobility Hackathon Chicago: The Roiti (team of five MS ’19 students)