Department of Computer Science
Building & Room:
851 S. Morgan St, MC 152, Chicago, IL, 60607
I am an associate professor at the Department of Computer Science, the University of Illinois at Chicago. I am a part of the Artificial Intelligence Laboratory at UIC, and I am leading the Multiagent Systems Group.
My research centers around the notion of rationality in artificial intelligent agents. Rationality includes the ability to plan alternative courses of action, and the ability to determine, and robustly execute, the best of these alternatives. In my work I have been particularly interested in rational choice of action when other intelligent agents are present in the environment. Here, the main issues are how agents should decide what physical actions to execute to coordinate with anticipated actions of the other agents, and how they should decide what communicative actions to engage in. A related problem is that of a theoretical framework for representing knowledge and belief of agents interacting with other agents. My other work includes evolution of agent communication languages, frameworks for representing uncertain knowlegde about the environment evolving in time, the notions of time pressure and the value of time, and rational behavior and trade-offs under time pressure. I am also interested in decision-theoretic approaches to game theory, operations research, philosophies of agenthood, and in applications of rational autonomous agents in realistic distributed domains.
- Sequential Decision-Making in Multiagent Settings -- funded by the National Science Foundation and by the Office of Naval Research. Description
- Automating the Evolution of Linguistic Competence in Artificial Agents -- funded by the National Science Foundation. Description
- Emergence of Protocols and Languages in Multiagent Systems -- funded by the National Science Foundation. Description
- Rational Coordination and Communication in Multiagent Environments Through Recursive Modeling -- funded by the Office of Naval Research. Description
- Scaling Up Automated Interactions in Multiagent Environments Through Learning and Value of Time Calculation -- funded by the Office of Naval Research. Description
- Role of Emotions in Rational Agent Design: General Principles and Applications. Description
- Decision-Theoretic Multi-Agent Sensor Planning. Funded by DARPA; most of the work was performed when I was with the CSE Department, the University of Texas at Arlington. Description
- Prashant Doshi and Piotr Gmytrasiewicz; “Monte Carlo Sampling Methods for Approximating Interactive POMDPs”, Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research, Volume 34, pages 297-337,
- Kyle Polich and Piotr Gmytrasiewicz, “Interactive
Dynamic Influence Diagrams”, in AAMAS, 2007.
- Antonio DelGiudice and Piotr Gmytrasiewicz,
“Towards Strategic Kriegspiel Play with Opponent Modeling”, in AAAI
Spring Symposium on Game Theoretic and Decision Theoretic Agents,
- Tseng C.C., Gmytrasiewicz P.J., “A Framework For
Real Time Decision Support And Information Gathering” , Physica A:
Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Volume 363, Issue 2 , 1
May 2006, Pages 417-436.
- B. Rathnasabapathy, Prashant Doshi, and Piotr Gmytrasiewicz, “Exact Solutions for Interactive POMDPs Using Behavioral Equivalence”, in AAMAS, 2006.
- Prashant Doshi and Piotr Gmytrasiewicz, “On the Difficulty of Achieving Equilibria in Interactive POMDPs”, in AAAI, 2006.
- Piotr Gmytrasiewicz and Prashant Doshi; “A Framework for Sequential Planning in Multi-Agent Settings”, Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research, Volume 24, pages 49-79.
- Sanguk Noh and Piotr Gmytrasiewicz; “Flexible Multi-Agent decision-Making Under Time Pressure” , IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, pages 697 — 708.
- Prashant Doshi and Piotr Gmytrasiewicz; “Subjective Equilibrium in Interactive POMDPs: Theory and Computational Limitations”, in GTDT-05.
- Prashant Doshi and Piotr Gmytrasiewicz; “A Method for Approximating Interactive POMDPs Using Particle Filters”, in AAAI-05.
- Prashant Doshi and Piotr Gmytrasiewicz; “Approximating State Estimation in Multiagent Settings Using Particle Filters”, in AAMAS-05.
- Piotr Gmytrasiewicz and Prashant Doshi; “A Framework for Sequential Planning in Multi-Agent Settings” , Technical Report, CS department.
- Piotr J. Gmytrasiewicz and Simon Parsons, “Editorial: Decision Theory and Game Theory in Agent Design”, Decision Support Systems Journal, Special Issue on Decision Theory and Game Theory in Agent Design, in press, 2004.
- Piotr Gmytrasiewicz and Prashant Doshi; “A Framework for Sequential Planning in Multi-Agent Settings” , in Proceedings of the Eighth International Symposium on Artificial Intelligence and Mathematics, January 4-6, 1004.
- Piotr J. Gmytrasiewicz; “Issues in Rational Planning in Multi-Agent Settings”, Proceedings of the 36th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, HICSS-36, January, 2003.
- Bharaneedharan Rathnasabapathy and Piotr J. Gmytrasiewicz; “Formalizing Multi-Agent POMDP’s in the context of network routing”, Proceedings of the 36th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, HICSS-36, January, 2003.
- C. L. Lisetti and P. Gmytrasiewicz; “Can a Rational Agent Afford to be Affectless? A Formal Approach”, Applied Artificial Intelligence, An International Journal, 2002, Vol. 16: 577-609.
- S. Carberry, C. Conati, F. de Rosis, P. Gmytrasiewicz, E. Hudlicka, C. L. Lisetti, A. Ortony, H. Prendiger and W. Revelle; “Panel Discussion from User-Modeling 2001”, Applied Artificial Intelligence, An International Journal, 2002, Vol. 16: 643-670.
- Piotr J. Gmytrasiewicz, Matthew Summers and Dhruva Gopal; “Toward Automated Evolution of Agent Communication Languages” postscript format , pdf format , Proceedings of the 35th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, HICSS-35, January, 2002.
- Chiu-Che Tseng and Piotr J. Gmytrasiewicz; “Real time decision support systems for portfolio management” pdf format , MS Word format , Proceedings of the 35th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, HICSS-35, January, 2002.
Ph.D., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1992