Department of Computer Science
Building & Room:
851 S. Morgan St, MC 152, Chicago, IL, 60607
- I am very proud to be the Academic Lead and PI for Break Through Tech Chicago.
- I am also a proud BRAID Department Head.
- You should study Computer Science, and I wrote about it before it was trendy. Download and read Robert H. Sloan, "Why Computer Science?" (in a collection, written just before enrollments went from high to extraordinarily high).
- I'm excited about Richard Warner's and my 2019 book on data breaches, just released in paperback! First publication below.
- Richard Warner's and my new privacy book published by Cambridge University Press will be released in October.
- My new personal UIC website under construction. (My ancient site from when UIC CS used Twiki is retired.)
- Computer security, especially privacy, legal, and policy issues.
- Computer Science Education.
- Application of computer science theory and algorithms to problems from artificial intelligence. Proud member of the UIC theory group.
Robert H. Sloan and Richard Warner. Why Don’t We Defend Better? Data Breaches, Risk Management, and Public Policy. CRC Press, 2019.
T. Berger-Wolf, B. Igic, C. Taylor, R. H. Sloan, and R. Poretsky. “A Biology-themed Introductory CS Course at a Large, Diverse Public University”. In: Proc. 49th ACM SIGCSE Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education. 2018, pp. 233–238.
R. H. Sloan and R. Warner. “When Is an Algorithm Transparent?: Predictive Analytics, Privacy, and Public Policy”. IEEE Security & Privacy 16.3 (2018), pp. 18–25.
R. H. Sloan, C. Taylor, and R. Warner. “Initial Experiences with a CS Law Introduction to Computer Science (CS 1)”. In: Proceedings of the 2017 ACM Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education. ITiCSE ’17. 2017, pp. 40–45.
S. Ohlsson, R. H. Sloan, G. Turán, and A. Urasky. “Measuring an artificial intelligence system’s performance on a Verbal IQ test for young children”. Journal of Experimental & Theoretical Artificial Intelligence 29.4 (2017), pp. 679–693.
Robert H. Sloan and Richard Warner. “Beyond notice and choice: Privacy, norms, and consent”. Suffolk University Journal of High Technology, 14(2):370–412, 2014.
Robert H. Sloan and Richard Warner. Unauthorized Access: The Crisis in Online Privacy and Security. CRC Press, 2013.
Richard Warner and Robert H Sloan. “Behavioral advertising: From one-sided chicken to informational norms”. Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment & Technology Law, 15, 2012.
Jon A. Solworth and Robert H. Sloan, Layered Design of Discretionary Access Controls with Decidable Safety Properties”. Proc. 2004 IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, pages 5–67, May 2004.
Thomas S. Messerges, Ezzy A. Dabbish and Robert H. Sloan, “Examining Smart-Card Security under the Threat of Power Analysis Attacks”. IEEE Transactions on Computers, 51:541–552, May 2002.
Ph.D. 1989, S.M. 1986 Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
B.S. Mathematics, Yale University, 1983.