Department of Computer Science
Building & Room:
851 S. Morgan St, MC 152, Chicago, IL, 60607
- I am a proud BRAID Department Head.
- You should study Computer Science, and I'm writing about it. Download and read Robert H. Sloan, "Why Computer Science?" (in a collection, written just before enrollments went from high to extraordinarily high).
- Richard Warner's and my new book book! First publication below.
- Computer security, especially privacy, legal, and policy issues.
- Application of computer science theory and algorithms to problems from artificial intelligence. Proud member of the UIC theory group. Currently especially focused on problems from knowledge representation. Previously especially focused on problems from machine learning ("computational learning theory").
- Computer Science Education.
Robert H. Sloan and Richard Warner. Why Don’t We Defend Better? Data Breaches, Risk Management, and Public Policy. CRC Press, 2019.
Robert H. Sloan, Balázs Szörényi, and György Turán, On k-term DNF with the largest number of prime implicantsSIAM Journal on Discrete Mathematics, 21(4):987–998, Jan. 2008.
Jon A. Solworth and Robert H. Sloan, Layered Design of Discretionary Access Controls with Decidable Safety Properties, Proc. 2004 IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, pages 5–67, May 2004.
M.B. Russom, Richard Warner, and Robert H. Sloan. Legal concepts meet technology: a 50-state survey of privacy laws. In Proc. 2011 Workshop on Governance of Technology, Information, and Policies (GTIP), pages 29–37, 2011. [ .pdf ]
Judy Goldsmith, Robert H. Sloan, Balázs Szörényi, and György Turán, “Theory Revision with Queries: Horn, Read-once, and Parity Formulas”, Artificial Intelligence Journal 156:139-176, 2004.
Robert H. Sloan and Richard Warner. Beyond notice and choice: Privacy, norms, and consent. Suffolk University Journal of High Technology, 14(2):370–412, 2014. [ http ]
Robert H. Sloan and Richard Warner. Unauthorized Access: The Crisis in Online Privacy and Security. CRC Press, 2013. [ http ]
Richard Warner and Robert H Sloan. Behavioral advertising: From one-sided chicken to informational norms. Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment & Technology Law, 15, 2012. Available from SSRN. [ http ]
Thomas S. Messerges, Ezzy A. Dabbish and Robert H. Sloan, Examining Smart-Card Security under the Threat of Power Analysis Attacks IEEE Transactions on Computers, 51:541–552, May 2002.
Ph.D. 1989, S.M. 1986 Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
B.S. Mathematics, Yale University, 1983.